The United States Embassy in Kampala has temporarily suspended all visa services in Uganda following concerns over the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the country.In a notice issued today, the embassy announced that effective May 18, 2026, all immigrant and non-immigrant visa operations had been paused until further notice.
The suspension affects applications for tourist visas, business travel, student visas, exchange visitor programmes, and all other non-immigrant visa categories, as well as immigrant visa processing.“Effective May 18, 2026, the U.S. Embassy in Kampala, Uganda, has temporarily paused all visa services. This pause includes applications for immigrant visas as well as non-immigrant visas for tourists, business travellers, students, exchange visitors, and all other non-immigrant categories,” the embassy said in a statement.
The embassy said affected applicants had already been notified and promised to provide updates once visa appointment scheduling resumes. “At this time, no visa appointments can be scheduled at U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda,” the notice added.The embassy linked the decision directly to the Ebola outbreak, saying the temporary suspension was intended to protect public health and safety.“The Department of State is committed to ensuring that its visa process upholds the highest standards for US public health and safety. In light of the ongoing Ebola outbreak, the Department is temporarily pausing all visa operations at U.S. Embassy Kampala,” the statement said.The suspension comes amid heightened Ebola surveillance and emergency measures in Uganda after authorities confirmed imported Ebola Bundibugyo virus cases linked to the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
As of May 16, at least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola Bundibugyo virus that broke out in eastern DRC. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the outbreak an international emergency, with the DRC’s health ministry reporting around 350 suspected cases and 91 deaths.Uganda has since intensified contact tracing, border screening, isolation measures and community mobilisation as officials attempt to prevent local transmission of the virus.The WHO has already declared the Ebola outbreak in Uganda and DRC a public health emergency of international concern, warning of a high regional transmission risk because of intense cross-border movement.
Despite the suspension of visa processing, the US Embassy clarified that the move does not affect visas that have already been issued and remain valid.The embassy also stated that applicants whose appointments were cancelled because of the suspension would not receive refunds but would instead be rescheduled once operations resume.“This does not affect any currently valid visas. Appointment scheduling will resume after the pause is lifted.
At that time, appointments affected by the pause will be rescheduled, and the applicants will be notified,” the notice explained.It added that non-immigrant visa application fees would remain valid for 365 days from the date of payment, allowing applicants to reschedule interviews within that period once services restart.
The latest move adds to growing international concerns over the Ebola outbreak, which has already forced Uganda to postpone this year’s Martyrs’ Day celebrations over fears of mass transmission during the annual pilgrimage that attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors from across Africa.
